Expert Q&A

Is there an age limit to claiming my child as dependent in the state of Washington?

My son who just graduated from law school (he’s 26) moved back in with us for the time being, due to no job and heavy student loans. He doesn’t pay rent and we feed him of course. While this isn’t a long term situation, can I claim him as a dependent if he stays through the holidays (and potentially longer)?

Related Topics: Tax Returns and Preparation
Related Tags: Dependent, Recent Graduate, Tax Planning, Student Loans
George Sleeman
Was this answer helpful? YES | NO
By George Sleeman - Tax Man To You, LLC
Answered over 5 years ago

In order to claim your son as a dependent, he must make less than $3650 in the tax year, you must supply over 50% of his support, he cannot be claimed on a joint return with a wife (if he is married) or claimed on someone’s taxes other than yours. I hope this helps.

Do you have a different question?